Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Unfinished Letter is Finished! (Part II)

I could hardly sleep last night because of all of the questions I have yet to ask KFS were tumbling, spinning, and flipping through my head. As it was, I did not get to bed until sometime after 1 a.m. I was that excited!

And my excitement has not worn off...I found him and he had been looking for me! I'm still shocked at how all of this turned out. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that after all of these years of searching, that I would really and truly find him. It seemed like one of those made-for-tv movies. What's even more surprising to me is that he wanted to find me and wanted me to be a part of his life and I was, even if I was not there physically.

And what unfolded over a five day period was actually 14 years in the making...

I was 11 years old when I found out (by accident) that a relative in my family was actually my biological mother and not the woman I call and still call Mommy. I had randomly come across some medical papers that were in the trunk of my mother's car. When I saw them, I didn't put two and two together. I thought this relative was coincidentally at the hospital the same day I was born for a completely unrelated reason.

When my mother told me otherwise, I didn't know what to do or how to think. Over the years, I was able to get information about KFS. Throughout high school he was never too far from my mind, but I had no idea where to look, how to look or even if I should.

I struggled with this for years and it wasn't until after I finished college and had Miss E did I decided I would search for him and if I didn't find him or if he wanted nothing to do with me, I would put it to rest once and for all.

In 2008, I contacted the college he attended, specifically the alumni association office requesting information about him. The woman with whom I spoke told me that they couldn't give out information because of privacy concerns but that she would forward my info on. I never heard anything. Even though I was disappointed, I felt I had my answer. So I left it alone. Until recently.

I have a Facebook page and every once in awhile, I tried to look up his name without any success. In late January, I found the college alumni association page and added myself as a fan. I had planned to send a message, telling his fellow alumni that I was looking for him, thought better of it and then decided to go back through the alumni association, only this time, I would just ask for a photo.

I sent the same woman I had contacted back in '08 a message. This time telling her a little more about my search, why I was searching, and how that I'd really appreciate, at the very least a photo with him in it.

In the meantime, I had asked an area library for a game photo (he played basketball) based on the game dates I gave the historian.

I checked my e-mail every day and hadn't heard anything. I told my mom about my search and that I would probably give the woman a week to respond and then send my request to another department on campus.

We've been out of school since having a two-hour-early dismissal on Friday and yesterday I had made plans to get ready to go to school mid-afternoon. Before I got myself ready, I checked my e-mail again. And there it was. In my inbox, his name. Right at the top. Being the crybaby that I am, I burst into tears and I hadn't even read the entire message. I didn't know what to think.

I called my mom, told her that he had contacted me. I told her that I didn't know what to say to him or what to do.

She calmed me down, told me to call him and the rest, they say, is history! Now I just want to focus on making up for lost time and to get to know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment